Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Progress - or not

I've been working on a sweater for myself for some time now. It's the lovely "February Lady" sweater, and I'm sure you can find the pattern and the author by looking for it on the web. (I don't have the pattern in front of me, so I can't give her her much deserved credit.) The yarn I'm using is beautiful, I love the pattern and I really want to wear it - so why isn't it done yet?

It's not done yet because progress has been hard to come by. First, the sweater is knit all in one piece (except for the arms), so the rows are rather long. Second, it's for an adult woman and the yarn is maybe worsted weight, so you've got to knit a lot of those long rows. And third, it went into time-out at one point because I thought there was a dye-lot issue with the yarn. All of those things have been conquered, so you could say I've made progress.

Progress of a sort. I am finally working on the arms - you pick up stitches for those at about the shoulders and work them down to the bind-off. I thought, yesterday, that I had knit enough pattern rows and started on the garter edging. I knit all twelve rows of edging and then tried the sweater on before I did the bind-off (yes, I can do things in the right order now and then). The sleeve was not the right length. (Bet you saw that one coming a mile away.) These are supposed to be 3/4-length sleeves, but I want them longer than the "just past my elbow" that the one was. Rats! I can't even blame it on a gauge problem or anything - I just wanted, so much, to be done with the sleeve that I called it good too soon. Oh well, today after work, I ran a lifeline through the first row of garter stitch, pulled the needles and frogged the edging. I'm tinking the first garter row, and then I'll knit another inch or two of pattern rows, and then I'll put on the edging.

Stay tuned for more progress reports! (Or not-progress reports, as the case may be.)

No comments:

Post a Comment