Wednesday, September 2, 2009

And there was music

My church choir started practices tonight, so my lungs got their first structured workout in a while. I say "structured" workout because, though I have been doing some exercising, the exercises aren't aimed at your lungs. When you practice singing, you have to think about breathing - when you breathe, how big a breath to take, how to make it not sound like Darth Vader, etc. That's what I mean by a structured workout for the lungs.

Choir practice is also a good emotional tonic. It's one of those things that I know will be good for me when I least feel like going. I don't mean that in an "Eeyore" kind of way - the "I'll go because it's good for me." way. I mean I know I'll feel better after I've been to choir practice - being around a bunch of friends, and just the physical aspects of singing (the controlled breathing) make me feel a lot better after a rehearsal. It's also a nice break from the kind of things I think about all day at work. We're starting out with fairly easy numbers, but I'm sure we'll build up to some complicated or difficult things as we get further into the season. I look forward to those pieces - I enjoy the challenge!

Enough for now, I'm going to post this and then reward myself with a glass of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment