Friday, September 4, 2009

Pie!

I made pie tonight for dinner. My dear husband, "J", has been cooking a lot lately, but I got a wild hare today at work, and decided that I wanted to make a savory pie for dinner. I got home early, so I went to the store and got the rest of the ingredients I thought I needed for this pie - sweet potatoes, yellow onions and apples.

First, I made a basic pie crust and wrapped it up and put it in the refrigerator. Next, I got out my mandoline - one of the most fun tools in the entire kitchen, it slices things nice and thin with next to no effort, uses no electricity and makes no noise, which means that my dog isn't disturbed by it. Anyway, I got out this most fun toy, and sliced up a sweet potato with it, and then sliced up a couple of smallish yellow onions with it and tossed them with flour. I cut up a pork loin into bite-sized pieces and tossed them with flour I'd seasoned with poultry seasoning.

Next step was to roll out the bottom crust for the pie and put it in a pottery pie dish. I put the sweet potatoes in the bottom, or half of them, anyway. I then put about half of the onions on top of the sweet potatoes and put the pork loin on top of them. Then I peeled, cored and sliced (thin, very thin) a Fuji apple and a Granny Smith apple, tossed them with flour and put them on top of the pork. I mean, you've got to have apples with pork, right? I added generous grinds of black pepper, some more poultry seasoning and some Kosher salt. Then I rolled out the top crust, put it on top of the pie, cut vents, and brushed it with an egg wash. I baked it for about an hour (I maybe could have taken it out earlier, but I was being sure) at 375 degrees, and voila! pie!

Both "J" and I agreed that the pie was very good and we'd be the envy of our co-workers when we brought in pieces for lunch. That is, if we don't finish it over the weekend. This is one to make again. I may tweak things a bit, like maybe not toss everything with flour - so there is some "juice" in the pie, but, on the whole, this is one to keep and do again.

1 comment:

  1. OK, it's just me perhaps, but it sounds like it was the "wild hare" that was the basis for the stew! :)

    ReplyDelete