Friday, September 4, 2009

The Never-Ending Battle

Since we got quite a bit of rain yesterday, I decided to pull some weeds after work. This is the never-ending battle of the title. You have to understand that I (and my wonderful husband "J") live on a corner lot, in an older neighborhood of Omaha. Older, as in, the house was built in 1924. There is a small strip of "yard" on one side of the house that has a sort-of flowerbed on it. I've planted three rose bushes in it and there are lily-of-the-valley growing there too. The trouble is that the weeds really like the flower bed, too. I decided that I should "strike while the iron was hot", or pull weeds when the ground was soft. It made the job easier both that the ground was nice and wet, and that I came to think of the weeds as "dirty rat bastards". Somehow, it just made it easier to keep going. Anyway, I pulled two garbage cans full of weeds from the side yard and the back yard. The weeds from the back yard came out of the retaining wall that I'd planted thyme and savory in, in the Spring. I am delighted that the thyme and savory are doing quite well, as are a lot of the weeds. So, it's a never-ending battle between the weeds and me. I think I'm making a little progress, but, as Mad-Eye Moody would say, it takes "CONSTANT VIGILANCE!"

1 comment: